Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Progress - Slow and Steady (7)



Dear Friend,

Have you ever worked hard on something for a long time only to be disappointed by the results? Did you give up too soon?

A couple of years ago I decided to go for a hike. The website for the hike I chose said it was a 1.25 mile walk to a tower with a view. That didn't sound so bad.

I arrived in the morning to discover a number of other vehicles parked at the entrance of the wooded trail. I grabbed my water bottle and walked confidently to the start of the trail. It was a perfect day. The sun was shining, there were white puffy clouds in the sky. The trees danced in the breeze while birds sang and fluttered between branches. Truly, all that was missing was a singing Disney princess. I was so happy I had decided to go for a hike.

The people passing me on their way back to their cars were friendly. They'd say, "good morning" and "Nice day for a hike". A few minutes farther down the path I met one guy who smiled and said' "You can do it!" as he walked by. I wasn't sure what he meant by that but I appreciated his support. That's when I noticed the grade of the trail beginning to rise.

*Insert horror movie scream here.

The once serene walking path turned into a sweaty blurred nightmare for me. Thanks to the constant steep up hill climb my legs and lungs were burning. I was struggling with my brains constant demand to turn around and go back down to the car and go home. Sweat was pouring down my face and back. I think I even started drooling at one point. (joking...I think) I definitely drank all of my water. It was awful. I was so embarrassed because people were speed walking passed me as I gasped for air. I'd smile and wave at them when they looked at me with concern but truly I just wanted to cry. How had I become so fat and so unfit. Every step included a soundtrack of laboured breathing.

I finally came to the top. It was a level plateau facing west. I tried to will my racing heart to slowdown. It felt like it was going to jump out of my chest. Once I composed myself a bit I stepped forward to take in the view. It was... disappointing. There were trees in the way and there wasn't much to see. The view wasn't what I had imagined it to be. I kicked a rock over the edge and thought of a few choices words. I was mad for having put myself through such a humiliating experience for a crappy view. I was exhausted. I made up my mind to climb back down and go home. I was thirsty and I wanted the ice cream that was in my freezer.

When I turned to leave I noticed people continuing up another trail. I hadn't reached the top after all. I was standing at the curve of the trail and could see both up, to my right, and down, to my left.

My shoulders slumped. Damn it.

Well, now I was faced with a dilemma. If I went back down I'd be quitting. I wasn't a quitter. I didn't want to be a quitter but I was tired and I was out of water on a hot summer day. I stared at my empty bottle with feelings of dismay.

I have noticed that at pivotal times in my life the Universe will send me a 'sign'.  I don't always recognize them or know what they mean but this one was pretty clear. A woman with salt and pepper colored hair and lots of laugh lines around her eyes came walking right over to me. She handed me a bottle of water and said, "Here, I have an extra. See you at the top, sweetie! You're almost there." She walked away and didn't look back. I was awestruck with sudden emotion and barely remembered to thank her. It was clear to me then that there was nothing else I could do. I had to go on. I left that plateau behind and I kept climbing uphill, slow and steady. I must say the view from the top was worth every breathless step .


They tell me that patience is a virtue. I don't know who they are but I wonder if they have ever been tested to the point of wanting to quit. Do you know what that feels like, friend?

There are times in any journey when you get so tired and worn out that all you want to do is stop. You look around and think is it really worth it? Why am I putting myself through all of this? That's just your snarky brain talking.

I have been working out now for two and half years. My weight loss has stalled and I'm struggling with being satisfied with my results. There are times when I start to believe my brains negative propaganda. That's when I think about that hike, friend. I have to keep reminding myself that when it comes to health and wellness there are definitely plateaus. It happens for lots of reasons and those reasons are different for everyone, friend. I also have to keep reminding myself of how far I have come. I have lost 50 pounds! I have lost inches everywhere. I have lowered my bad cholesterol, a lot, and have been able to get off of two medications. The food I eat now actually has nutritional value. I feel so much better and happier than I did those two and half years ago, friend. Slow and steady progress is worth it. In our fast paced world slow and steady forces you to appreciate every step. The reward is more meaningful and valuable when you have to work hard for it.

I hope that if you experience a plateau in your health and wellness, friend, that you remember to change your perspective. Look around you and try a different approach. Don't quit just because you don't like the view from where you are. Keep going! You're closer than you were yesterday, friend! Here, take this bottle of water. I brought extra today. See you at the top, friend. We're almost there.

XO, Robin

P.S. If you want to learn more about health and wellness check out my Facebook page Oh my Quad!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my ramblings! I appreciate your comments